DEVELOPMENT DIRECTOR JOB DESCRIPTION (Updated February 2018)
Justice & Mercy International (JMI) is a faith-based, non-profit 501(c)(3) organization that exists to make justice personal for the poor, the orphaned and the forgotten of the world. JMI primarily works in Moldova in Eastern Europe and in the Amazon region of Brazil and we do our work through programs that have the Good News of Jesus at their core.
- BA (required), MA (preferred)
- Minimum of 8 years experience in non-profit development
- Proven record of success with documented growth in annual and capital giving
- Must show understanding of and/or work history in missions work
- Demonstrated excellence in organizational, managerial, and communication skills
- Knowledge of Etapestry, SalesForce or similar donor management system
- Exceptional people, writing and organizational skills
- Solid work ethic– goal-driven, self-starter
- Timely in responding to calls and messages
- Willingness and ability to adhere to JMI’s policies and procedures
- Willingness to share personal faith story
- Ability to travel extensively both in U.S. and internationally
- Passion for taking the Gospel of Christ to the ends of the earth
Reports to: Executive Director
Status: Full Time
The Director of Development will be responsible for building the structure and strategic direction of the inaugural Development Office for JMI, working closely with the Executive Director and Executive Team. Director will be responsible for planning, organizing and directing all fundraising efforts including major gifts program, annual fund, planned giving, special events and capital campaigns.
- Reports to the Executive Director and is a member of the Executive Team
- Strategically utilizes JMI connectivity, assets and the ED to maximize efforts of the organization and the development department
- Hires and directs development staff in effort to expand upon donor acquisition efforts, stewardship, and cultivation.
- Develop and execute JMI’s annual fundraising plan
- Meet prospective donors and supporters on a continual basis to establish effective communications, with minimum of 150 personal donor/prospect face-to-face visits per year.
- Grow a major gifts program including identification, cultivation and solicitation
- Oversee grant seeking including research, proposal writing and reporting
- Build planned giving program with focus on deferred gifts
- Develop annual fund program including mailings and annual fund drives
- Initiate strategic capital campaigns and other major fundraising efforts
- Oversee fundraising database and tracking systems
- Create and manage publications to support development efforts
- Maintain gift recognition programs
- Paticipate in existing JMI fundraising events (Gala, Skeet Shoot) and develop additional fundraising events as needed (spring event)
- Secure financial support from individuals, foundations and corporations
- Manage the implementation of Etapestry and oversee staff responsible for data entry and gift processing
- Develop and maintain ongoing relationships with major donors & church partners in partnership with ED & FD
- Creating and executing a strategy for a large sustained base of annual individual donors
- Pariticipate in all JMI special events
- Developing and tracking proposals and reports for all foundation and corporate fundraising
- Traveling to Kelly Minter events as assigned
- Leading 1-2 mission trips for JMI per year
- Help ED develop and implement an advisory board of influential people to help promote JMI
- And other duties as assigned!
- Position to be housed in Franklin/Nashville area in Tennessee
- Competitive/commensurate with experience and other qualifications
- Email resume and cover letter to Mary Katharine Hunt, Executive Director, Justice & Mercy International at [email protected].
Deadline to Apply
- March 15, 2018 or until filled